Are you looking for certain accounting terms and definitions around responsibility accounting (such as: responsibility center, revenue center, cost center)? You came into the right page; they are here.
- Responsibility accounting – A part of management accounting that involves accumulating and reporting revenues and costs on the basis of the manager who has the authority to make the day-to-day decisions about the items.
- Responsibility reporting system – The preparation of reports for each level of responsibility in the company’s organization chart.
- Cost center – A responsibility center that incurs costs but does not directly generate revenues.
- Profit center – A responsibility center that incurs costs and also generates revenues.
- Investment center – A responsibility center that incurs costs, generates revenues, and has control over decisions regarding the assets available for use.
- Controllable cost – A cost over which a manager has control.
- Controllable margin – Contribution margin less controllable fixed costs.
- Segment – An area of responsibility in decentralized operations.
- Decentralization – Control of operations is delegated to many managers throughout the organization.
- Direct fixed costs – Costs that relate specifically to a responsibility center and are incurred for the sole benefit of the center.
- Indirect fixed costs – Costs that are incurred for the benefit of more than one profit center.
- Management by exception – The review of budget reports by top management focused entirely or primarily on differences between actual results and planned objectives.
- Noncontrollable costs – Costs incurred indirectly and allocated to a responsibility center that are not controllable at that level.
- Return on investment (ROI) – A measure of management’s effectiveness in utilizing assets at its disposal in an investment center.
Are you looking for easy accounting tutorial? Established since 2007, Accounting-Financial-Tax.com hosts more than 1300 articles (still growing), and has helped millions accounting student, teacher, junior accountants and small business owners, worldwide.