Connect with us

Tax Strategies

How to Find and Uses a Tax Pro [Tax Adviser]?



Mastering the tax rules is a Herculean task, given everything else a businessperson has to do. Armed with the basics (from reading this blog entries 🙂 and other resources of course), it makes sense to get to know a tax professional. Form a long-term relationship, calling any time a tax issue arises. Just what are tax pros [tax adviser], how can you find and use one? Read on….



Types of Tax Advisers

Tax advisers are of many varieties, and not all professionals are created equal. Just about anyone can claim to be a tax expert. Looking for someone specifically knowledgeable in helping small businesses—not the storefront outfit that advertises rapid refunds or a Big Five national CPA firm. Ideally, pick a professional who already understands your particular type of business—whether you are a manufacturer, a restaurateur, or a retail clothing seller. Look for one of the following types of tax pros: Tax Return Preparer.

Surprisingly, people who prepare tax returns don’t have to be licensed by the IRS. Make sure your tax preparer has one of these three professional designations:

  1. Enrolled Agent (EA). An EA is a tax adviser and preparer who is licensed by the IRS. This professional designation is earned by either passing a difficult IRS test or having at least five years of experience working for the IRS. There are 24,000 EAs in the United States. Enrolled Agents are the least expensive of the true tax pros. Many EAs offer bookkeeping and accounting assistance.
  2. Tax attorney. A tax attorney is a lawyer with either a special tax law degree (LL.M. in taxation) or a tax specialization certification from a state bar association. If you have a serious tax or IRS problem, require legal representation in court, or need business and estate planning, go to a tax attorney.
  3. Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and other accountants. CPA s are licensed and regulated by each state, like attorneys. They perform sophisticated accounting and business-related tax work and prepare tax returns. CPAs should be considered by larger businesses or for complex business tax returns. CPA s are found in large national firms or in small local outfits (Some states also license Public Accountants, who are not as highly regarded as CPAs)

For typical small business tax [like most of us] I would lean toward EAs and small CPA firms. National CPA firms and tax attorneys are too costly. Interview several tax pros to get a feel for the right one for your business.


How Tax Pros Can Help?

A tax pro can assist you with the following:

Information and advice – A good tax pro can be a very effective teacher.

Dealing With the IRS – You are working with someone who respects your ability to help yourself.) She can help make key tax decisions, such as choosing the best entity for your business and preparing financial statements necessary for obtaining loans.

Record keeping – Some people would do about anything to avoid record keeping. That’s why God created bean counters and small business software that makes record keeping (almost) fun.

Tax form preparation – Once you get past the record keeping, you’ll face various tax filings.


Congress talks about tax simplification, but don’t hold your breath. Until that day, seriously consider professional assistance for your business tax forms. If you insist on doing it yourself, run it by a tax pro before filing it. For do-it-yourselfers, I would recommend a tax preparer software. However, a tax pro can point out tax deductions or other benefits that you and your computer might miss, as well as keep you out of trouble.


Advice in dealing with the IRS – For help in dealing with the IRS, a tax pro can be an on-call coach. Some thorny questions may be answered in a minute or two by a canny tax pro.

Representation – You don’t have to deal with the IRS at all if you hire an attorney, CPA , or Enrolled Agent to represent you. These folks know how to handle IRS bureaucracy. A tax pro can neutralize the intimidation factor the IRS knows that it holds over you. And if you have something you would rather not have the IRS see, a pro might be able to keep the lid on it.


Choosing the Right Tax Pro for Your Business

There are several ways to find a good tax pro; asking the IRS is not one of them. Instead, try the following:

  • Personal referrals – Ask friends, family, your attorney or banker, business associates, or even competitors for the names of tax pros they know or have dealt with.
  • Advertising – Trade journals, directories, phone books, and newspapers carry lists of tax pros. Look under “accountants,” “tax return preparers,” and “attorneys—tax.” Some offer free initial consultations. If they are advertising, they have time for new clients.
  • Professional associations and referral panels – Check the phone book for local bar associations and CPA societies that can refer you to a tax attorney or accountant. A referral shouldn’t be construed as a recommendation or certification of competence. Find a CPA online at The National Association of Enrolled Agents (800-424-4339 or can help you locate an EA.


Once you have the names of tax pros, start weeding through them. Interview at least three pros to see how well you relate to each other. Break the ice by telling the pro where you got his name. Then discuss your situation, and ask if he has clients in similar businesses. Ask if he is too busy or has the experience you are looking for. If he doesn’t, ask him to recommend someone who fits the bill.

If you worked with a tax preparer before you went into business, maybe this is the person you want to stick with, but maybe not. Ask about her experience with any business lines that similar to yours.

Test a tax pro’s attitude toward the IRS and knowledge of small business taxes by pulling out questions from any sources you ever read [any textbook or website, or even blog like this blog 🙂 ]. Someone with prior IRS work experience is not necessarily desirable—they may have been permanently imprinted with the IRS point of view.

Ask if he/she has represented clients before the IRS, and specifically in IRS audits. If she hasn’t, she’s probably not as experienced as you would like.

Also ask yourself some questions as you go through the selection process: Does the tax pro give you a feeling of confidence? Is she knowledgeable? How long has she been doing tax work? Can you envision her going to bat for you in front of the IRS?

Finally, ask yourself, “Is this someone I would feel comfortable working with?


Tip: Don’t be in a hurry to hire a tax pro. Looking for the right tax pro should be more like looking for a mate for life than a casual date. After all, complying with the tax laws is a key to whether your business lives or dies. The best time to look is in the summer or fall—not the January to May tax season.


Tax Pros Are Not Cheap

Good tax pros aren’t cheap. A start-up business without much cash flow may be tempted to price shop. But an expensive expert who saves you from getting in trouble is a bargain in the long run. Get a clear understanding of costs up front:

Does the pro charge by the hour or have flat (fixed) fees for bookkeeping, accounting, and tax form preparation?

Professionals working on an hourly basis charge from a low of $50 per hour up to $500 for top CPA s and tax attorneys. Ask for a written fee agreement so you have a basis for disputing a tax pro bill later on, if necessary. Tax pros can either be consulted as needed or hired to take over tasks from bookkeeping to IRS filings and representation.

Tip: Fees may be negotiable. Do you like the tax pro, but not her fee? Ask if she can do it for less. Try something like, “I am new in business and need to watch my pennies”. If she believes you’ll be a long-term client, or if you catch her in a slow period, she may discount her normal rates. The best time to hire a tax pro is after the tax season—meaning the summer or fall.


Where and How To Find Other Free Tax Information and Tips?

Use a pro if you don’t feel comfortable doing your own tax return. (Who does?) Everyone’s business and individual tax situation is unique; like your wardrobe, some custom fitting always works better than off-the-rack.

Keep professional fees under control by learning as much as you can on your own. The more you know about dealing with a tax pro, the better you can judge his capabilities. And, of course, the less tax advice you’ll have to pay for. I’ve tried to alert you to the occasions you’ll need professional help beyond post entries on this site.

Every tax code is a moving target; tax laws are always being reworked by Congress. Keeping up with changes affecting you, your business, or your industry can be a challenge. Small business owners [like most of us] can’t afford to call a tax pro with every question. Fortunately, good tax information is available for free [or close to it].

Trade associations put out newsletters and magazines covering tax concerns common to their members. General tax newsletters, books, and annual tax preparation publications are plentiful, and small business tax material is widely available in libraries. Of course, the Internet is a prime source of tax material.

The IRS has many free publications which explain the tax law, but these are always from the government’s point of view.

FYI: Advice from the IRS is not official and binding unless it is in writing.

If you ever tried to browse the IRS official website, but you could not find the specific issue you have, that was not your fault at all. They are too many compare to your issues. You just need IRS publication list on hand so that you can locate your topic easily. If the case that you haven’t got one, here is an IRS publication [the publication number come first in the bracket, followed by the topic]:

IRS General Publication

[1] Your Rights as a Taxpayer
[17] Your Federal Income Tax (For Individuals)
[225] Farmer’s Tax Guide
[334] Tax Guide for Small Business
[509] Tax Calendars for 2002
[595] Tax Highlights for Commercial Fishermen
[910] Guide to Free Tax Services Employer’s Guides
[15] Employer’s Tax Guide (Circular E)
[15-A] Employer’s Supplemental Tax Guide
[51] Agricultural Employer’s Tax Guide (Circular A)
[80] Federal Tax Guide for Employers in the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (Circular SS)

IRS Specialized Publications

[378] Fuel Tax Credits and Refunds
[463] Travel, Entertainment, Gift and Car Expenses
[505] Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax
[510] Excise Taxes
[515] Withholding of Tax on Nonresident Aliens and Foreign Corporations
[517] Social Security and Other Information for Members of the Clergy and Religious Workers

[521] Moving Expenses
[523] Selling Your Home
[525] Taxable and Nontaxable Income
[526] Charitable Contributions
[527] Residential Rental Property
[529] Miscellaneous Deductions
[530] Tax Information for First-Time Homeowners
[531] Reporting Tip Income
[533] Self-Employment Tax
[534] Depreciating Property Placed in Service Before 1987
[535] Business Expenses
[536] Net Operating Losses
[537] Installment Sales
[538] Accounting Periods and Methods
[541] Partnerships
[542] Corporations
[544] Sales and Other Dispositions of Assets
[547] Casualties, Disasters and Thefts
[550] Investment Income and Expenses
[551] Basis of Assets
[552] Recordkeeping for Individuals
[553] Highlights of Tax Changes
[554] Older Americans’ Tax Guide
[555] Community Property
[556] Examination of Returns, Appeal Rights, and Claims for Refund
[557] Tax-Exempt Status for Your Organization
[559] Survivors, Executors and Administrators
[560] Retirement Plans for Small Business
[561] Determining the Value of Donated Property
[564] Mutual Fund Distributions
[570] Tax Guide for Individuals With Income From U.S. Possessions
[571] Tax-Sheltered Annuity Programs for Employees of Public Schools
[575] Pension and Annuity Income (Including Simplified General Rule)
[578] Tax Information for Private Foundations
[583] Starting a Business
[587] Business Use of Your Home
[590] Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)
[593] Tax Highlights for U.S. Citizens and Residents Going Abroad
[594] The IRS Collection Process
[596] Earned Income Credit
[597] Information on the United States–Canada Income Tax Treaty
[598] Tax on Unrelated Business Income of Exempt Organizations
[901] U.S. Tax Treaties
[907] Tax Highlights for Persons with Disabilities
[908] Bankruptcy Tax Guide
[911] Direct Sellers
[915] Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits
[917] Business Use of a Car
[919] How Do I Adjust My Tax Withholding?
[925] Passive Activity and At-Risk Rules
[926] Household Employers
[929] Tax Rules for Children and Dependents
[936] Home Mortgage Interest Deduction
[938] Real Estate Mortgage Investment Conduits
[939] General Rule for Pensions and Annuities
[946] How to Depreciate Property
[947] Practice Before the IRS and Power of Attorney
[950] Introduction to Estate and Gift Taxes
[953] International Tax Information for Business
[1045] Information for Tax Practitioners
[1542] Per Diem Rates
[1544] Reporting Cash Payments of Over $10,000
[1546] The Taxpayer Advocate Service of the IRS


There has been an explosion of tax information on the Internet. Surprisingly, the IRS itself has a good website, but it is definitely not the last word in tax research. Start your Internet search with the IRS home page at You can download over 600 IRS forms and publications and peruse summaries of 150 tax topics. Email simple tax questions to the IRS. Internet service providers give you access to search engines like Yahoo! and Google to find tax information from sources, including the National Association of Enrolled Agents and TurboTax. Some sites allow you to post tax questions to experts and receive answers, either for free or a relatively small charge. Keep in mind the person giving the answer doesn’t really know you and your tax needs. The right tax answer is usually the one tailored to your individual situation—and for that you need the personal touch of meeting with a tax pro.

Are you looking for easy accounting tutorial? Established since 2007, hosts more than 1300 articles (still growing), and has helped millions accounting student, teacher, junior accountants and small business owners, worldwide.